September 20, 2019
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Well, we have finished the third week of school. Things are starting to settle down and the students have become used to the routines and expectations of John Muir. On Meet the Teacher night we gave a presentation about how to help your child to be successful at school. We have included the PowerPoint if you would like to view it.
Please make sure your child is prepared for being outside at school, even if the weather is cool or damp.
This Monday, September 23rd, SD 62 is hosting a district wide event featuring author Ross Greene, for all employees. As educators, we are very excited for this opportunity.
Here are some dates of upcoming events;
- September 25 – District Cross Country
- September 27 – Terry Fox Run
- September 30 – Orange Shirt Day
- October 2 – District Cross Country
- October 3 – Photo day
Our Strong Start hours are:
Monday, Thursday, and Friday 9:15am – 12:15pm
Tuesday and Wednesday 12:15pm – 3:15pm
Newsletter September 2019
With the outbreak of measles in Vancouver, BC, families may be wondering what steps they can take to protect themselves from measles. Vaccination is the best method of protection. All school-age children and adults born in 1970 or later should have 2 doses of MMR vaccine for full protection. Most people born before 1970 are immune to measles because of past exposure or disease.
Please take some time to check your vaccination records to see if you or your children need additional vaccination. Vaccination is available from physicians, pharmacists (for adults and children over 5 years), and public health units (for children). Call ahead to your healthcare provider to ensure that MMR is available at your appointment.
The Parent Page – This is where parents login to provide and/or review consents for their children.
- When using the system for the first time, parents must use the front page to request an access number (which acts as their password).
- Parents use the verification number to gain entry. From there, they can provide consent to the six activities. If your student is not listed, please make sure that the email address used is the same email address your students school has on file.
- This is meant to be a one-stop shop for parents to provide consent.
The URL for this page is https://consent.sd62.bc.ca
Here are the consents that are available as this time to be collected online:
- Media Consent
- Internet Access Consent
- General Consent for School Fieldtrips/Activities (Short walking trips)
- School Cash Online Consent
- Fresh Grade Consent
- Google Apps For Education Consent-Grades 4 and 5 only
- Aboriginal Education Information and Self-Identification
When do the Consents expire?
- Some consents (namely GAFE, KEV, and Fresh Grade) expire once a student leaves the district and/or graduates
- Some consents last one school year
- The system tracks the expiry of these consents. To renew a consent year to year (for Internet access, as an example) a parent simply reconnects to the system next school year. The system will note that the consent has expired and will give parents an opportunity to renew their permission.
How do you sign up for these consents?
Step 1 – Add firstname.lastname@example.org to your email contacts
Step 2 – Parents go to the link https://consent.sd62.bc.ca
Step 3 – Add your email address
Step 4 – Go to junk folder as the verification number may be sent to this folder. Make note of your SD62 email verification number
Step 5 – Add the verification number Step 6 – Click on the Consents and choose, “I do give consent”.